Friday, March 16, 2012

Gurnet Light on Press

Recently a friend of mine lent me an etching press and another friend the accessories so that I could experiment with printing. My original plan was to learn to etch but once I realized the amount of toxins I would be required to juggle I quickly altered that route. Instead, I will try and use light sensitive polymer printing plates which in theory can be exposed by the sun and developed with tap water - much safer. Just like the emulsion on a silkscreen - the UV rays expose the unprotected plate/screen  - allowing the areas covered by a transparency containing the image to be washed away - leaving an impression to hold the ink. The actual progression of necessary events might (Let's just say "definitely will") take some trial and error.

I've bought my plates and am creating my image. I'm working on a scratchboard drawing of a lighthouse referencing a shot I took several months ago using my iPhone. I'm implementing a more graphic style than usual because I think it might print better. Here's where the drawing stands at the moment. I'll keep you posted on my progress.




1 comment: